I call it the holy grail – recipes that are ancestral, delicious, quick, and affordable. If you don’t have a lot of time for cooking or washing all the pans, then this one is for you. I used grass-fed, organic beef in this recipe, but just do what you can. A new meta-analysis found that omega-3 fats are 47% higher in grass-fed, organic meat, so there IS a difference (1). However, not everyone has the resources or access for that. There are still many important nutrients in beef, so don’t obsess over it, OK?
Oh, and one more thing – horseradish: if you don’t have access to the root, just omit this or add powdered horseradish (sparingly!). Add whatever additional herbs/spices you like to the steak marinade. Boom, your own creation.
Weeknight Paleo Beef Stir-Fry
Active cooking cooking time: 20 min / Inactive time: 1 hour (optional) / Total time: 80 min
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb grass-fed beef thin steak (i.e. strip, minute, bulgogi)
- ½ tsp sea salt + more to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small onions (one red and one yellow if possible), peeled and chopped
- 1 head broccoli, florets only
- 1 small head Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 small sweet peppers
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- ½ Tablespoon grated horseradish root, or to taste
- Sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Slice steak into ½” strips. Mix in bowl with olive oil, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Marinate ~1 hour if possible, or up to 1 day.
- Heat coconut oil on medium in saucepan. Once hot, add onions and broccoli (oil should be hot enough to sizzle them). Sauté until onions begin to soften.
- Add cabbage and continue to saute. Meanwhile, cut tops off peppers and remove inner part (with seeds). Roughly chop remaining pepper.
- Add peppers and chopped garlic to pan. Sauté until garlic is fragrant.
- Add coconut aminos and stir. Simmer, covered, for ~5 minutes to further soften broccoli, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Add salt and horseradish to taste and add the steak strips. Stir and sauté ~1-3 minutes, or until steak is cooked to your liking.
- Serve in bowls alone, or with cauliflower rice.
Enjoy, and feel free to share using the links below. If you give it a try, please comment below and tell me how it went!